Christmas can be a really difficult time for families after a bereavement. It is really important to remember to look after yourself and your family over the festive period.
Some family members might want to celebrate Christmas, whilst others may not feel like celebrating at all. It is important to talk openly and honestly about your feelings and plan to do what helps you through the day.
Here are a few ideas that we discuss with the children and young families under our support about remembering their loved ones at Christmas:
- Light a candle in their memory
- Visit their grave or a special place where their ashes are scattered
- Write a special message or choose a photo of your special person and attach it to your Christmas tree
- Take the time to remember your special memories
- Eat their favourite foods
- Drink their favourite drinks
- Visit a special place that meant a lot to them or means a lot to your family
Some families may wish to continue with their family traditions. Remember, it is ok to start new traditions too.
Although it can be a difficult time for families, it is important to look after yourself and your well-being and seek support if needed. Likewise, give yourself permission to have fun and enjoy yourself if you feel you want to.