Christmas can be a really difficult time for families after a bereavement. It’s really important to remember to look after yourself and your family over the festive period.
Some family members might want to celebrate Christmas & organise something to remember their special person, whilst others may not feel up to it. It is important to try and have a conversation openly and honestly.
Here are a few suggestions, that we talk about with our children and young people :-
- Take some time out with the family and light a candle in memory of your significant person
- Eat or drink their favourite foods or drink
- Visit a special place that meant a lot to them or means a lot to your family
- Write a special message or choose your favourite photo of your special person and attach it to your Christmas tree
- Visit their grave or a special place where their ashes are scattered
Some families may like to continue with their family traditions. It is also important to remember it is ok to start new traditions.
Although it can be a difficult time for families, it’s important to look after yourself and your well-being and seek support if needed. Likewise, give yourself permission to have fun and enjoy yourself if you feel you want to.